Old Harlow Referrals
- Assist you with difficult cases where successful endodontic treatment is challenging
- Work with your patient in an informative way so the understand the process and intricacies of treatment
- Return the patient to your care with enhanced probability of reliable outcomes in complex restorative cases.
- Take the stress off you with difficult endodontics
To do this we employ the latest techniques, instruments and materials and of course highly skilled staff. In the case studies presented below Fernando has highlighted the latest research backing the protocols we follow to achieve predictable results for your patients. It is important in complex cases not to encounter any of the possible pit falls that can lead to problems. The cases highlight these possible difficulties and how they can be overcome.
C RCT + Fiber Post
These are less likely to cause root fracture than indirect precious metal post cores (3) and leave the referring dentist a superb base for crown preparation.
The canal can be shaped with post preparation in mind to achieve the best long term results for your patients
Using the microscope magnification facilitates excellent surface preparation for bonding.
The use of pre-heated composites allows perfect adaptation of post material for best retention (4, 5)
Just ask on the referral form if you want a post prepared and fitted ready for your permanent crown restoration, or ask for more information
(1) Nicola S, Alberto F, Riccardo MT, Allegra C, Massimo SC, Damiano P, Mario A, Elio B. Effects of fiber-glass-reinforced composite restorations on fracture resistance and failure mode of endodontically treated molars. J Dent. 2016 Oct;53:82-7
(2) Guldener KA, Lanzrein CL, Siegrist Guldener BE, Lang NP, Ramseier CA, Salvi GE. Long-term Clinical Outcomes of Endodontically Treated Teeth Restored with or without Fiber Post-retained Single-unit Restorations. J Endod. 2016 Dec 7 (Ahead of print)
(3) Bolla M, Muller-Bolla M, Borg C, Lupi-Pegurier L, Laplanche O, Leforestier E. Root canal posts for the restoration of root filled teeth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016 Nov 28;11
(4) Magne P, Goldberg J, Edelhoff D, Güth JF. Composite Resin Core Buildups With and Without Post for the Restoration of Endodontically Treated Molars Without Ferrule. Oper Dent. 2016 Jan-Feb;41(1):64-75
I Re-RCT + MTA
Often these cases were treated by apicectomy and retrograde root filling, which was not the ideal for patient comfort and recovery. (1)
Now with the use of the microscope and techniques in MTA placement it is possible to treat these cases with an orthograde approach (2)
Here we have a wide foramen that has been successfully treated placing a 3-5mm MTA seal apically
Patient are much happier to have this approach of treatment in these complex cases.
(1) Del Fabbro M, Taschieri S, Testori T, Francetti L, Weinstein RL. Surgical versus non-surgical endodontic re-treatment for periradicular lesions. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007 Jul 18;(3)
(2) Kim US, Shin SJ, Chang SW, Yoo HM, Oh TS, Park DS. In vitro evaluation of bacterial leakage resistance of an ultrasonically placed mineral trioxide aggregate orthograde apical plug in teeth with wide open apexes: a preliminary study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009 Apr;107(4):e52-6.
The case here has difficulties of access and isolation due to position and subgingival decay, a second mesio-buccal canal (often impossible to detect without a surgical microscope) and severe curvature of the roots.
A pre-endodontic tooth restoration has been done to avoid per and post operative leakage (1)
The use of a surgical microscope enhanced the search of a present fourth canal, hard to detect without magnification (2), modern rotary instruments (3, 4) along with the latest irrigants activation devices (5) and obturation methods (6), make success in these cases more achievable
Let us help with the complex underlying difficulties and return the patient to your care for the pleasure of the final restoration
(1) Heydrich RW. Pre-endodontic treatment restorations. A modification of the ‘donut’ technique. J Am Dent Assoc. 2005 May;136(5):641-2
(2) Buhrley LJ, Barrows MJ, BeGole EA, Wenckus CS. Effect of magnification on locating the MB2 canal in maxillary molars. J Endod. 2002 Apr;28(4):324-7.
(3) Kiran S, Prakash S, Siddharth PR, Saha S, Geojan NE, Ramachandran M. Comparative Evaluation of Smear Layer and Debris on the Canal Walls prepared with a Combination of Hand and Rotary ProTaper Technique using Scanning Electron Microscope. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2016 Jul 1;17(7):574-81.
(4) Cheung GS, Liu CS. A retrospective study of endodontic treatment outcome between nickel-titanium rotary and stainless steel hand filing techniques. J Endod. 2009 Jul;35(7):938-43.
(5) Duque JA, Duarte MA, Canali LC, Zancan RF, Vivan RR, Bernardes RA, Bramante CM.Comparative Effectiveness of New Mechanical Irrigant Agitating Devices for Debris Removal from the Canal and Isthmus of Mesial Roots of Mandibular Molars. J Endod 2016 Dec (Ahead of print)
PM RCT Very Curved Roots 2
So let us help alleviate the worry and help you provide the best for your patients